Wednesday, September 8, 2010

In a Quest to Not Waste Food....

I decided a while back to not waste food. For years, I have had the bad habit of planning my weekly menu without giving thought to maximizing ingredients. Therefore, I have also had the bad habit of wasting so much food. I have thrown away more cheese reminates, pasta sauces, and veggies that an a starving person in a third world country has eaten in their life. When I started staying home and not working, I knew that had to stop. Now I plan my meals with deep thought. Thinking about how to coordinate the meals so that a little bit of this can be used in that and not go to waste. This brings me to tonight.... Sausage Ravoli Bake.

I used the leftover italian sausage and provolone from Monday nights Sausage Sandwiches. The cheddar remains from the Broccoli Salad I made for the Labor Day Block Party and the extra tomato sauce from Pizza Pasta I made last week.

Sausage Ravoli Bake

1 package frozen ravoli- cooked as directed
4 cooked italian sausages
2 cups of cheddar
5 cloves of garlic (hey, I told you garlic was back in full force)
lots of basil (lizard and frog free)
16 oz pasta sauce

Mix all the ingredients together and pour into 9 x 12 casserole dish. Cover with sliced provolone so that there is no space or holes. Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.