Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dangers of Fresh Herbs

What a crazy night. Forgetting it was a school night, a friend and I took the girls (her one and my two) to Ikea. By the time I got home, got Rylan in bed (did I mention that she screamed the whole 30 minutes home because she was hungry, or cold, or tired, or something...)and Ansley fed, it was almost 8 pm and I was exhausted. I wanted to start dinner-Mediterranean Shrimp Pasta- and Ansley wanted me to read to her from Ramona before she went to bed. I got the genius idea of having her sit on the counter and hold the book while I read and cooked. Too bad she hated the idea. The counter was to hard for her princess behind and it wouldn't be comfy. I had already started the shrimp and the pasta so I couldn't leave the kitchen. I was stuck. After lots of tears, a few moments of yelling, and a promise to read double tomorrow, I finally convinced her to go to bed Ramona-less.

Breathing in the peace and quiet, I poured a glass of whine and headed out to the porch to cut some basil. I chose a branch and sniped it off. I was just about to walk back into the kitchen when a frog lept from the branch I was carrying. I let out a small squeal. Whew, that was a close one, I thought. I would have freaked if I had brought that frog into the house. I made it into the kitchen. Put down the basil, took a much needed gulp of whine, stirred the shrimp andpa sta and then grabbed my knife and was set to chop the basil. That's when I saw it... a set of eyeballs. Lizard eyeballs attached to a lizard, sitting on the basil. I grabbed the basil, screaming, and ran to the sliding glass door. I was almost there when he jumped. I screamed louder, threw open the slider and kicked that little hitchhiker right out the door.

Seriously, what are the chances? A frog and a lizard on the same branch of basil. Good Lord, there is not a enough wine on this earth to make up for the evening I have had.